Meet the People who make HeyStaks Great
Dr. Maurice Coyle
CEO & Founder
Maurice has over 10 years' experience researching and developing innovative collaborative search technologies. His Ph.D. research examined the nature of collaboration and social network effects in enterprise social search environments and community-based personalization in video sharing contexts, winning best paper awards at major international conferences. In 2010 he co-founded HeyStaks with Pete and Barry.
- Ph.D. in social network effects and explanation in collaborative search
- Best paper awards at leading conferences and journals
- Internationalization engineer in Sun Microsystems
Dr. Peter Briggs
CTO & Founder
Pete's award-winning Ph.D. research examined the relationship between trust and reputation in collaborative searching environments. Having worked as an engineer at Sun Microsystems, Pete took the decision to pursue the field of collaborative recommendation research, and over the past 11 years he has nurtured HeyStaks from research project to disruptive startup, guiding the technology strategy of the company as CTO.
- Ph.D. in user modeling, trust and reputation in collaborative search environments
- Papers at leading conferences and journals, 1 best paper award
- Device driver test engineer in sun Microsystems
Prof. Barry Smyth
Chief Scientist & Founder
Barry is a leading academic in collaborative recommendation, machine learning and data analytics. His over 600 publications in major international journals, conferences and industry publications have garnered many awards for academic and commercial excellence. An earlier mobile personalization spin-out company that he co-founded, ChangingWorlds, was acquired by Amdocs International in 2008 for $60M.
- Professor of computer science in University College Dublin, a leading Irish university
- Distinguished academic in fields of collaborative filtering, recommender systems, case-based reasoning, with many papers and awards
- Director of €42M INSIGHT centre for big data analytics
John has extensive finance and IT experience with both multinational and indigenous companies. An articulate and confident professional with a strong drive for results and innovative solutions with a proven track record of delivering global complex initiatives for the benefit of the organisation. Recognised for developing and driving business strategy whilst exhibiting superior stakeholder and relationship management with both peers and clients.
- Prior to joining HeyStaks John worked in Microsoft leading and developing a global program management team
- Multiple roles over 19 years in Microsoft ranging from finance to IT to operations
- Qualified as a chartered accountant with Ernst & Young before moving to Smurfit's
Head of Business Development
Lorcan has a 20 year record in the development and sale of innovative business solutions to international markets. During this period, he managed all aspects of business development & supporting proposition life-cycles and developed domain expertise in personalization, digital services, telco 2.0 and enterprise applications.
- Prior to joining HeyStaks Lorcan was the EMEA Sales Director in Amdocs Digital Services
- Sales Manager and Program Director of new proposition development at ChangingWorlds from 2002 to 2008
- Held various program & account management roles at Kadius, IBM Lotus and Reflex Business systems
Ronan has been designing and creating interfaces for 10 years. His previous startup built an online environment for social clubs and societies in universities and as a freelancer he has worked for a wide variety of clients, from early-stage startups to large multinationals. Ronan is responsible for all things aesthetic, leading UI design and implementation across the entire product suite.
- 10 years commercial experience in area of web/interface design
- Holds a BSc Multimedia degree from DCU
- Completed work as a freelancer for a large range of clients across multiple sectors, including Nestle, Diageo, and countless startups & established companies
Sebastian is a senior engineer at HeyStaks who has been working in IT for the past twelve years. His previous experience includes time spent as a search specialist for customers around the world as well as varied positions in the industry as technical and enterprise architect, infrastructure administrator, and back end developer. His focus at HeyStaks is on search technologies and scalable architectures.
- Qualified Systems Engineer, UNICEN, Argentina
- Co-founded a web start-up vertical search engine and internet crawler
- Designed and implemented an advertising platform search component and optimizer