Founded in 2010, HeyStaks is the leader in next-generation search and discovery technologies that are designed to harness the wisdom of the crowd to make information retrieval both collaborative and productive. Implementation of HeyStaks' products fosters innovation across organizations and converts casual unique visitors into loyal customers across the consumer web.
The HeyStaks platform is delivered as a web service from the Amazon EC2 cloud or can be deployed in the customer's network.
The HeyStaks platform is the product of more than 30-man years of cutting-edge research in University College Dublin, The Clarity Centre for Sensor Web Technologies and Science Foundation Ireland. HeyStaks has patented algorithms in areas of: collaborative search, social discovery, reputation modeling, community modelling and meta techniques to calculate relevance.
Dr. Maurice Coyle
CEO & Founder
Maurice has over 10 years' experience researching and developing innovative collaborative search technologies. His Ph.D. research examined the nature of collaboration and social network effects in enterprise social search environments and community-based personalization in video sharing contexts, winning best paper awards at major international conferences. In 2010 he co-founded HeyStaks with Pete and Barry.
- Ph.D. in social network effects and explanation in collaborative search
- Best paper awards at leading conferences and journals
- Internationalization engineer in Sun Microsystems
Dr. Peter Briggs
CTO & Founder
Pete's award-winning Ph.D. research examined the relationship between trust and reputation in collaborative searching environments. Having worked as an engineer at Sun Microsystems, Pete took the decision to pursue the field of collaborative recommendation research, and over the past 11 years he has nurtured HeyStaks from research project to disruptive startup, guiding the technology strategy of the company as CTO.
- Ph.D. in user modeling, trust and reputation in collaborative search environments
- Papers at leading conferences and journals, 1 best paper award
- Device driver test engineer in sun Microsystems
Prof. Barry Smyth
Chief Scientist & Founder
Barry is a leading academic in collaborative recommendation, machine learning and data analytics. His over 600 publications in major international journals, conferences and industry publications have garnered many awards for academic and commercial excellence. An earlier mobile personalization spin-out company that he co-founded, ChangingWorlds, was acquired by Amdocs International in 2008 for $60M.
- Professor of computer science in University College Dublin, a leading Irish university
- Distinguished academic in fields of collaborative filtering, recommender systems, case-based reasoning, with many papers and awards
- Director of €42M INSIGHT centre for big data analytics
Head of Business Development
Lorcan has a 20 year record in the development and sale of innovative business solutions to international markets. During this period, he managed all aspects of business development & supporting proposition life-cycles and developed domain expertise in personalization, digital services, telco 2.0 and enterprise applications.
- Prior to joining HeyStaks Lorcan was the EMEA Sales Director in Amdocs Digital Services
- Sales Manager and Program Director of new proposition development at ChangingWorlds from 2002 to 2008
- Held various program & account management roles at Kadius, IBM Lotus and Reflex Business systems
Ronan has been designing and creating interfaces for 10 years. His previous startup built an online environment for social clubs and societies in universities and as a freelancer he has worked for a large variety of clients, from early-stage startups to large multinationals. Ronan is responsible for all things aesthetic, leading UI design and implementation across the entire product suite.
- 10 years commercial experience in area of web/interface design
- Holds a BSc Multimedia degree from DCU
- Completed work as a freelancer for a large range of clients across multiple sectors, including Nestle, Diageo, and countless startups & established companies
Ciarán is a Windows programming consultant with HeyStaks who builds HeyStaks clients for Internet Explorer, SharePoint and other Microsoft environments. Ciarán has worked on countless personal projects, including a proof-of-concept operating system.
- Development experience with many areas of MS stack & and expert IE extension developer
- Experience in reverse engineering software to find undocumented features. Has written a utility to display licensing details and fix bugs in Windows
- Developed his own proof-of-concept operating system with bootloader, memory management, PE file loading and threading